Ghanaian international Christian Atsu has not been seen since the devastating earthquake that struck Turkey earlier this week, according to Hatayspor team doctor Gurbey Kahveci.
The 31-year-old was reportedly rescued from the rubble on February 6 after 26 hours, allaying Ghanaians’ concerns.
The footballer was reportedly dragged out of the water alive with only minor injuries, and he was then rushed to the hospital, according to Turkish media.
Taner Savut, the club’s sporting director, as well as the player, are still missing, according to Kahveci, the team doctor for the side Atsu represents.
We specifically went and looked when we heard that “he was taken to Dortyol Hospital,” but it was not there.
We currently acknowledge that Christian Atsu and Taner Savut, the sporting director, have not been located, which is terrible,” he said.
The 31-year-whereabouts old’s are unknown, but efforts are being made, according to Francisca Ashietey-Odunton, Ghana’s ambassador to Turkey, who spoke to Joy Sports earlier on Wednesday morning.
“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in this country told me yesterday that they wanted to confirm whether Christian Atsu had been located, rescued, and taken to a medical facility.
They aren’t yet certain which specific hospital or healthcare facility he has been transferred to, which is acceptable given the circumstances [when you are saved you are put in an ambulance and sent to the hospital],” she said.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs informed me once more this morning that they are working frantically to determine which facility he was transported to and will get back to me as soon as possible because I have been pressing them to let me go see him.
The capital of Turkey is Ankara, which is where I am right now. The country’s most southern region is where the catastrophe took place. All of the airports are closed, as are all of the roadways. Except for the rescue effort, nobody else is allowed. As a result, the responsibility for informing us of what happens to our compatriots falls on the host Ministry, which is what we can do as a mission.
“I am happy and grateful that, with the exception of Christian Atsu, all Ghanaians have been located.
There weren’t many of us around, and the majority of them were students.
We had students in the regions that were most severely hit, including Adana, the Marash provinces, and Gazantiep.
Through the Ghanaian community, we have been in touch with them, and now, it is our desire and purpose to evacuate them to Ankara.
Ghanaians are extremely concerned about the issue as frustration and fear over the 31-year-future old’s set in.
Mubarak Wakaso, a close friend and fellow Ghanaian international, also verified Wednesday morning that Atsu is now missing.