The National Union of Ghana Students (NUGS) has elected Dennis Appiah Larbi-Ampofo as President despite agitations over the credibility of the voting process.
Kwesi Atuahene (self-acclaimed president-elect for NUGS) has taken to social media to make certain accusations of being called by the national security and threatened. In a post made by the Kwesi Atuahene, he stated “I have received calls from someone identifying as National security, a while ago, threatening that, if I continue speaking on the illegalities perpetuated at the just NUGS Congress, I will be arrested and hit in the stomach.” He added that ”earlier in the day, on my interview on Metro, the imposter NUGS President Dennis said very clearly that, if I see him, I should run”.
Whatever that means I do not know.
But this’s my words to them, I won’t be intimidated today or any other day from speaking to the issue of students and of my good conscience.
“We are in God’s hands” he added.
Kwesi Atuahene has been expressing his grievances on social media and on other television stations on the outcome of the elections and its proceedings which is creating a lot of tension. People have started attributing this to national politics which is of major concern.
Mr. Appiah Larbi-Ampofo won the election by garnering 78.1 percent of the votes cast. Below are the declared results of the elections:
- Oppong Charles – 33 votes = 3.13%
- Kwesi Atuahene – 197 votes = 18.69%
- Dennis Appiah Larbi-Ampofo – 824 votes = 78.18%
- Aziz Azaana Imoro – 82 votes = 9.45%
- Joshua Opey – 562 votes = 64.75%
- Francess Gifty Ennin – 224 votes = 25.80%
SECRETARY FOR FINANCE
- Derrick Kofi Sarpong – 417 votes = 41.61%
- Francisca Lynn Willis – 585votes 58.38%
SECRETARY FOR EDUCATION
- Ransford Tege – 452 votes = 52.44%
- Asare Bediako – 410votes = 47.56%
SECRETARY FOR WOMEN DEVELOPMENT
- Jessica Twumasi
YES – 847 votes(99.64%)
NO – 3 votes (0.362)
SECRETARY FOR INNOVATION, ENTREPRENEURSHIP, AND SKILLS DEVELOPMENT
- Amin Mohammed
YES – 797 votes (97.31%)
NO – 22 votes (2. 69%)
SECRETARY FOR SOCIETIES AND WELFARE
- Badu Kwarteng Kwadwo – 579 votes (65.57%)
- Emmanuel Wesom Achio- 304 votes (34.43%)
SECRETARY FOR UNION DEVELOPMENT
- Issah Ahmed –
YES = 782 – 96.19%
NO = 31 – 3.81%
SECRETARY FOR INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
- Sillim Philemon Kpiirka = 89 (9.12%)
- Oppong Kyekyeku Alex = 500 (51.32%)
- Justice Alexander = 262 votes (26.84%)
- Paula Nuwordu = 125 votes (12.81%